The Diplomatic Envoy adheres to a writing style agreed upon by the editorial board to maintain consistency throughout the publication. The following references will be useful for editors, writers, and anyone who wishes to contribute to the Envoy:
- Associated Press Stylebook – the U.S. newspaper industry standard. Must-read for writers assigned to the International News and School of Diplomacy News sections. A copy of the full stylebook is available in the Envoy office.
- While AP Style does not prescribe the Oxford comma, the editorial board has decided to implement it.
- Strunk & White’s The Elements of Style – a guide for writers assigned to the Focus, Opinion, Foreign, Faculty, or Alumni sections. Also useful for academic papers. A copy of the booklet is available in the Envoy office.
- Envoy Writing Guide and the Envoy Staff Manual – our own summary of AP Style, Strunk & White, and the Seton Hall University Style Guide, with School of Diplomacy-specialized definitions. A copy of the writing guide is available in the Envoy office.
- University Graphics Manual & W3Schools – for web editors.
- Merriam-Webster Dictionary – for words and terms not covered by the Envoy Writing Guide.
When in doubt, contact an editor at email@example.com.